A recent fire in a Tinton Falls condominium caused the evacuation of two units and caused one of the residents of the unit where the fire took place, 16 Karen Drive, to be taken to area hospital for treatment.
Joan Fiess, 63, was home January 10 when the fire began and was treated medically at the scene before being taken to the hospital for evaluation.
When firefighters arrived on the scene they could see that the rear of the condominium was on fire.
Investigators later determined that a lit cigarette left by the resident on the patio caused the fire.
The other resident of the unit, William Volk, 59, did not need medical attention.
The adjacent units were also evacuated.
Members of the following fire companies responded to the scene: Tinton Falls Fire Company, Wayside Fire Company, Pinebrook Fire Company, Northside Fire Company, Ocean Township Fire Company, Eatontown Fire Company, Asbury Park Fire Department and the Neptune Fire Department.
The following police officers responded to the scene to aid with the investigation and evacuations: Lt. Matthew Park, Sgt. Joseph Lopresti, Officer David Ebert and Officer Adrian Reyes.