During this challenging time the Wesley Lake Commission invites all residents, business owners and visitors to enjoy the natural beauty and recreational activities surrounding our lakes- Deal Lake, Sunset Lake and Wesley Lake.
The Wesley Lake Commission, which is comprised of residents and employees from the city of Asbury Park and Neptune, is responsible for the maintenance and improvement of the lake.
The initiatives include maintenance dredging, partial wall replacement, pond weed control, gardens on the lake boarders and the placement of aerators to increase the oxygen in the lake which improves the health of the aquatic habitat.
The commission seeks help to make improvements and preserve the lake and its shores.
The commission offers the following tips:
1. Don’t feed the wildlife – It risks the spread of disease, threatens the health and safety of the birds, and endangers drinking water supplies.
2. Place all of your garbage in the cans – Anything on the ground is swept into the lakes and ocean when it rains.
3. Pick up any trash that others have discarded … especially cigarette butts!
4. Pick up after your pet – It’s the law! Animal waste adds nitrogen to the water which depletes the oxygen in water necessary for beneficial underwater grasses, wildlife and fish. Animal waste often contains harmful organisms such as Giardia, Salmonella and E. coli that can be transmitted to humans and other animals by ingesting contaminated water. Roundworms and hookworms deposited by infected animals can live in the soil for long periods of time and be transmitted to other animals and humans.
5. Don’t wash pesticides, fertilizers, washing chemicals, detergents yard debris/grass into the street or lake. All yard and street runoff lead to the lake. Landscape services are required to take yard waste away.