In an unprecedented move during an unprecedented time in Asbury Park the City Council voted this evening to allow indoor dining in city restaurants and bars beginning Mon., June 15. The businesses must adhere to a 25 percent capacity directive.
The action is in contrast to the governor’s order issued earlier this week which said only outdoor dining would be allowed beginning June 15. Restaurants in the state have been on lockdown for dining for three months in response to the coronavirus pandemic. But since March 16, when the lockdown was ordered, the number of coronavirus cases has continued to decline in the state.
Over the last three months city officials have continued to meet and listen to concerns of business owners and residents. Tonight’s decision was made after careful consideration of what is best for Asbury Park, they said.