When you think the dead are dead, then you see a zombie….
And reports of the death of the Zombie Walk in Asbury Park may have been greatly exaggerated.
The New Jersey Zombie Walk began seven years ago in Asbury Park. Last month, founder and organizer Jason Meehan announced its demise on the Facebook social media site.
“It was probably the hardest decision I ever made,” Meehan said earlier this week. “There’s a lot of other things that have to come before the Zombie Walk.”
Meehan and his wife welcomed their first child, daughter Maggie, who was born Aug. 27. And Meehan said he no longer lives in the Asbury Park area, but in Morris County.
But, Meehan said, the Zombie Walk may have been brought back from the dead — even though he likely will not be involved as he once was if the resurrection takes place.
In August Meehan had said a “funeral” would be held for the walk. But, those services could now be cancelled.
On Thursday, Sept. 17, Meehan said he is scheduled to meet with Boardwalk, business and city officials about Zombie Walk. But he was hesitant to say much in the days before.
“It may not be (dead),” Meehan said. “Still trying to sort things out.
“It’s a lot of different things,” Meehan said. “I don’t know if I should say too much (at this time).”
Meanwhile, John McGillion, owner of the popular Johnny Mac House of Spirits on Main Street, has filed an application for a special events permit for the walk for Oct. 3.
McGillion could not be reached for comment for this story.
The city’s Special Events Committee will discuss the Zombie Walk application at its meeting today (Sept. 17). It then will be forwarded to the City Council for action the following week.
Zombie Walk has attracted 15,000 or more, a combination of participants dressing as zombies and spectators, according to the Asbury Park Chamber of Commerce. In 2013, for example, there were an estimated 10,000 “zombies” and 10,000 spectators, the chamber has said.