The Asbury Park Dance Festival, co-founded by Paul Taylor Dance Company alumni Laura Halzack and Michael Trusnovec, current PTDC dancer Michelle Fleet and Film Executive VJ Carbone, is hosting its inaugural festival Sept. 14 at the House of Independents on Cookman Avenue in Asbury Park.
The festival will bring world renowned dancers and companies to the city with proceeds benefiting Arts Ed NJ which advocates for the educational benefits and impact of the arts in public schools in New Jersey.
“We’re thrilled to bring this caliber of performers to the Jersey Shore this Fall and support a community we love while also advocating for arts in public schools,” Trusnovec said.
Tickets to the performance are $45 and $100 for the performance and post reception.
Tickets and more information can be found at www.apdancefest.org.
The festival highlights include:
-The Paul Taylor Dance Company performing two duets created by Princess Grace Award winning choreographer Bryan Arias.
– Repertory excerpts from award winning choreographer, Pam Tanowitz, specifically arranged for APDF featuring Melissa Toogood, Michael Trusnovec and Michelle Fleet.
– So You Think You Can Dance Season 11 Winner, Ricky Ubeda who is also appearing in the upcoming Steven Spielberg film and Broadway adaptations of West Side Story.
– Guest Artist and former Principal dancer with Martha Graham Dance Company Blakeley White-McGuire and current Graham dancer Lorenzo Pagano will perform an iconic Graham duet.
– Eleven time Bessie Award-winning choreographer of dance, theater, opera and film, Doug Varone and his company.
– Bessie Award winning tap dancer/choreographer Caleb Teicher, touted as “Best of Dance” 2018 by the NY TIMES.
– The innovative NJ and Monmouth County based Axelrod Contemporary Ballet.
– 10 Hairy Legs in a recent commission by award winning choreographer, Larry Keigwin.